Wednesday, November 4, 2009

NOTES from Week 9

Layouts - Develop your article on a two page layout. I recommend looking at other magazines to choose quotes to pull-out and make larger, drop caps, titling. If you can't fit your article on your spread, there is a page for overflow text in the back. You will have a "Contiuned on page..." at the end.

Please bring your layout on a disk next week to give to me. I will take them and work them slightly to make the whole project congruent.

Art - We need ART! Block space with at least a sketch of what you are putting in. It has to be filled by Week 11! Sending to print at the convenience of the printer, before the holiday weekend. Best if all is original, but if there is something you found that applies to our subject and is high resolution, hand it over. We'll give credit. If you mention something in your article like a game console or animation or abigail williams :"), find a picture. Most importantly, I don't want a single page without playful type design, color, art or photography.

Fonts - By the end of class, you will have the font. Hoefler Type Foundry. Set at 10 pt regular for the body. Swash for drop caps. Consider titling and pop quotes.

Printing - The layout I have now is 5 tabloid sheets printed front and back (20 pages from cover to cover). I got quotes, and trust SoCal Graphics in Glendale to get this done on time, correctly and on our budget. The quoted $3 a sheet printed front/back for the inside and cover at $3.75 (thicker paper). I have to get samples of the matte and glossy. They'll do test prints no problem. They said they'd do all the cutting, stapling, and folding for $15 for 20 copies. Maybe we will end up printing less. Each of us need a copy, Rosetta, I thought it would be nice to have copies for each of the other class members to hold, and possibly if you'd like more than one copy. By the time we print, let me know how many you would like. With extra cost for the wrap band, estimated printing is $20 per copy. There are 9 of us in the group to split the cost. Group cost is estimated at $45 each.

You can write a check directly to SoCal graphics, I believe. I can ask.

PRESENTATION - Now to be on Week 13, December 2nd (No Class Wednesday Nov.25th, the day before Thanksgiving) Yipeeeee!!!

1 comment:

  1. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but can we use a credit card to pay? I am flush out of cash.

    Or is there any way that I can pay for the whole thing with my credit card?

    ReplyDelete